Skip to main content

Story Jumper

How did you organise the groups?

The activity was carried out with 5th grade, as a review for the contents learnt in the previous unit: uses of the adjective, comparative and superlative. The students were organized in groups of three. Each group is using one laptop or tablet with which they create their own characters, own scenarios and own plot.

What was the sequence of tasks that you followed to get to the final product?

1. Review the vocabulary and structures.

2. Present the app and give them basic directions about how it works.

3. Create a book from the very beginning to show them how to do it.

4. In groups, brainstorming to set the vocabulary, sentences, structures…

5. Independent time to work (monitoring and advising).

6. Checking the first story and correct mistakes.

7. Publish the story and share with the partners.

 

-      What were the specific learning objectives for this activity? How did the use of the tool help the learners achieve these objectives? Please be specific and give concrete examples.

 To reinforce the use of adjectives.

·         To increase the number of adjective the students can manage.

·         To develop the digital competence.

 

-      In what ways (be specific) was creativity and the use of imagination encouraged in your students?

In these ages, students feel comfortable doing what they master, not taking too many risks when producing language. Because of that it would be necessary to be very specific and set that they cannot just reproduce that models and examples they already know. They would be asked to be creative, to be risky without penalization. The most part of the time they feel ashamed for their mistakes, so it is vital to set an atmosphere of respect and confidence.

 

-      What did your students enjoy most / least about this activity?

 

My students always love the opportunity to learn something new by using technology, or just the use of that technology itself. I am sure some of them will explore the app in detail and will give it other uses for even having fun in their free time.

Although the activity looks funny and the students would be motivated, they still struggle when it comes to practice their writing skills.

 

-      What would you change next time?

I would create groups based on their levels, I mean, ensuring that in each group there were a person with a good level, a leader, who can guide and give advice to the others.

 

-      How were the finished projects shared with the rest of the class?

Projects could be shared through the Google Classroom group.

 

-      What opportunities were there for students to co-evaluate and discuss the learning experience with each other?

By cooperating in doing the story, by adding or modifying their partner´s work, by commenting on the Google Classroom group…

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genially

As a guide to follow the different steps I would use with my students, I have made a presentation using Genially. https://view.genial.ly/5fe71467a666f40d7dc6adbe/presentation-speaking   Steps to follow:           Explain the main task at the beginning of the lesson, in order to explain the vocabulary and structures with enough time to practice before facing the completion of the final activity. ·          Although my students already know what Genially is, it might be of interest to review some of the functions and main fixtures. ·          When it is time to make groups, I do not use to give them total freedom to arrange them, instead, I guide them to join a specific partner. I like to put together students with different skill levels. ·          Even though they are free to set up the presentation as they wish, I use to pop up in ...

Christmas is coming!!

December is almost here and we are planning to make several activities to celebrate this special time of the year. First of all, we need to get ready and learn some vocabulary related to the festivity.   Please, make sure you pronounce the words properly. If you have any question about this matter, you always can use https://www.wordreference.com/ to check the phonetics.   Moreover, we are doing a traditional letter to Santa Claus. Have you been good this last year? I´m sure you were. Remember, do not ask for much just a couple of things. You can fill the gaps in this template.      Next time we will learn some traditional carols.  

Final Task

  I have chosen the Edpuzzle task from Sinead´s blog https://sineadenglishteacher.blogspot.com/ , mainly for two reasons: 1.        The first one, like I already explained in the “Interaction activity”, I think Sinead writes wonderful and well redacted analysis throughout every post for each task. 2.        Among all the apps, resources and/or websites we have been taught in this course, I find Edpuzzle like the more applicable in my classes right now. It saves time, it is easy and intuitive, and students love it.